Spring has officially arrived in some parts of the United States, and Florida’s snowbirds are starting to pack up and head north, leaving their winter homes behind. Without ample preparations, the heat and high levels of humidity during the summer can cause problems like mold and water damage, which you have to deal with when you return during the winter.
To prevent these situations from occurring, we have compiled some tips for you!
- Plumbing and electricity. Check for leaks in your plumbing to prevent accidental flooding and water damage. It would be much better if you turn off the water supply in your home. Make sure that all faucets are closed and if you can, have your pipes drained to avoid leakage. When it comes to electrical equipment, unplug your appliances. Lightning strikes often visit Southwest Florida, and you wouldn’t want the surge entering your home! You can also consider installing a surge protector.
- Services. Temporarily put your services on hold, such as newspapers and deliveries. You can also have the post office hold your mail or have them forwarded if you will be away for a long time. You can also ask a neighbor or trusted friend to take care of any unexpected packages delivered to your doorstep.
- Maintenance. You can ask or hire someone to trim the lawn and clean the gutters from time to time so that your house appears to be inhabited.
- Hurricane Preparation. Make necessary preparations for the hurricane season so that you can protect your home from hurricane damage if any. You can also ask a friend to be on the lookout.
- Thermostat. Mold and mildew can thrive if you would not take control of your home’s temperature and humidity before you leave. Set your humid stat between 45 to 50 percent, and your thermostat between 80 to 84. Also, allow some natural light to enter your home.
Do not forget to lock your doors in windows in your hurry! We hope that these tips can make your return to your Florida home more welcoming. In case the inevitable happens and you’d need help with water damage, mold, and cleaning, Expert Restoration & Cleaning Services has got your back! We are an emergency damage restoration company in Southwest Florida. We also perform bathroom and kitchen remodeling in Naples, Florida, and its surrounding areas. If you need our help, contact us at 239-641-9953.